8.29.2013

dear philadelphia

Dear Philly,

You sure are a funny city. I get the biggest kick out of you. 

Yesterday I waited in line for a smoothie with a transvestite in American flag hot pants and knee high black boots. It was all kinds of awesome. She had way better legs than me. 

Sometimes strangers on the street ask me, "What are you having?" as I walk past. I always smile and say, "I don't know. It's a surprise!" Bonus points to the young man this morning for calling me "miss". Even though I'm about to be a mom, "ma'am" makes me feel old. 

I was waddling to the train station last week and stopped at an intersection blocked by cars. I tend to be cautious at intersections because a) these days I can't move as fast as I normally do and b) Philly drivers can be crazy. However, a very nice man in a pimped out purple shirt, tie and hat combo leaned out of his very shiny BMW and told me I was safe to cross. Put a smile on my face at the end of a very long day.

Philly, a lot of times you smell like pee. And too many people smoke. And I think I am becoming desensitized to all the homeless people (which makes me sad). 

But you are a funny city that continues to surprise me. I love you.

xo,
Julia






No comments:

Post a Comment