8.14.2012

some days / a little bit about the 'betes

Husband has diabetes. Type 1, which means insulin dependent, so he gives himself injections 4 times a day every day (before meals and before he goes to sleep at night).

He was diagnosed at age 21. This is a bit uncommon because Type 1 is almost always juvenile diabetes. In some ways he is lucky that he didn't have to spend childhood taking shots. In other ways it was a harder adjustment than if he had been dealing with it during his formative years.

In the grand scheme of things diabetes sucks but it doesn't suck that hard. There are many, many other diseases and disorders that are worse than diabetes. Most days it doesn't impact our lives except for that shot before each meal. Most days I don't even notice diabetes. 

But some days? Some days I want to punch diabetes in the face.

Over the weekend I hated that my husband has to have diabetes. I hated that his glucose level dropped and it made him feel sick. I hated that it caused him to be upset when there wasn't anything to be upset about. I hated that it made him confused, muddled his mind, and hindered his ability to get the simplest sentence out.

Most of all, I hated my brief but initial reaction. Annoyance. I was annoyed that I had to stop what I was doing and get him something to eat. As terrible as it sounds, having to take care of him sometimes frustrates me. There are days when I just don't want to deal with getting glasses of juice or trying to locate something in the pantry that has enough grams of sugar. I am human and there are days that I feel this way.

But then I stood there in our mess of a kitchen, hugging him while he tried to get a sentence out, and felt like crying. Because my husband is such a happy, easy-going man and diabetes sometimes takes a little bit of this away.

The weekend was a rarity. The majority of days are a-okay with glucose levels in check. We are healthy and happy and in love and all that mushy stuff. Doesn't mean I don't want to coldcock diabetes every now and again.




No comments:

Post a Comment