8.22.2012

shotgun. bang.


























Let's talk architecture. Specifically shotgun houses and my love for them. Ya'll know how I feel about New Orleans and shotgun houses just happen to be prevalent in the Big Easy. A shotgun house typically has one room leading into the next without hallways. This is suited for hot climates (hence, being popular in New Orleans) because opening the front and back doors allows for a breeze to flow through the entire house. Why is it called a shotgun house? Because it is said that a bullet fired through the front door would go right out the back door without hitting a wall. Brilliant!

These little houses make me happy. All I dream of is to someday have a little house and a little yard with some character (with closet space for my shoes). Husband says there is no way we are ever living in New Orleans, but little does he know I plan on forcing him to retire there. Ok, actually he does know that because I frequently bring it up. For now we are Keystone Staters.... but someday I wouldn't mind having a little shotgun house. 

A girl can dream, no? 




Images found here, here, and here

No comments:

Post a Comment