7.24.2012

my life and the masses

I read something great the other day. "Your life doesn't have to look like the masses, it just has to look like yours." (shout out to Kendi Everyday) I thought I'd share because this is something that really resonates with me.

I struggle with comparison. A lot, in fact. To the point where it is a bit hard for me to even write about. Because it's that thing. You know, that thing. The thing about yourself that you wish you could change and is a constant source of frustration and you know it doesn't make sense and you hate it and sweet baby Jesus your husband just doesn't understand why you are beating yourself up.


If you don't have one of these things then I envy you. But I also think you are weird. Or maybe it is just that you have a penis. Because I think this is a girl thing? 

Chances are if I've met you and liked you (or, hell, sometimes even if I didn't like you or haven't even met you) then I've compared myself to some facet of your life. This is my thing. The phrases, "why can't I just?" and "why am I not?" play quite frequently in my head. You can guess how the difficulty of this past year and starting a new job with new people has had an effect.

So I find that I often have to remind myself that my life is not going to be like anyone else's. It is my own. There are good days and bad days, but the measurement of a good day and a bad day should be my own.  This post came slowly. I hit the delete button a lot. Not shocking stuff, but I'm sharing because it helps me clear my head. And maybe somewhere in the land of the internet someone else feels the same way. And, yes, I used the word penis in a blog post and I am going to hit 'publish' anyways. 



No comments:

Post a Comment