12.16.2012

on perfection. and showing up.

Husband and I had a discussion the other day about perfection. Being around perfect people and what that means for the rest of us. Of course there are no perfect people, but I'm sure most of us have come across someone who seems that way. Someone who seems to cast a shadow over you, someone who does things with complete ease, someone who always understands the question. Man, those people really annoy me. But in the end the annoyance is just jealousy, isn't it?

Husband's argument is that in striving to do the best job that we can we are in fact striving for perfection. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I strive to do things correctly at work. I strive to love my family and friends the best I can. I strive to be right. But I don't know if I strive to be perfect. Quite frankly I have a hard enough time trying to be the best me.

But here's the thing. It can be so easy to forget that we can't be perfect. Especially when times are a little tough and you are trying to figure it out. Whatever your "it" happens to be.

There will be certain points in life and certain situations where you will say to yourself, "this is not what I signed up for." You will have gotten yourself to a place or in a relationship or working a job that gives you that icky feeling in the pit of your stomach.

But the thing is, you have to keep showing up. Keep striving. Becuase that's what must be done for now. I stress the for now. And whether you make the hard decision to leave that situation or make the sometimes even harder decision to tough it out but change your attitude and how you respond to that situation, please remember that you get points for just showing up.

A friend recently share the below video with me. As Elizabeth Gilbert says, Ole!’ to you, just for having the sheer human love and stubbornness to keep showing up.


No comments:

Post a Comment